Julio Le Parc
Sculptor and painter. He studied at the School of Fine Arts in Buenos Aires, attracted by concrete art and Lucio Fontana’s work. In 1954 he entered the College of Fine Arts and a year later Leparc traveled to Paris, thanks to a scholarship granted by the French Cultural Service. In 1960 he integrated there the Grupo de Investigación de Arte Visual-GRAV (Research Group of Visual Art). In 1966 he won the International Grand Prize for Painting at the Venice Biennale. He becomes acquainted with optical art and Gestalt theory, beginning to experiment with optical paintings that presented progressive sequences of shapes, of positions and colors, creating visual instability. He continued his research, making small light boxes with manual movement that led to changes of image and color; ... he also developed his first mobiles that, illuminated with indirect and oblique light, casted shadow on curved and flat screens. Among his most important solo exhibitions are: “Rétrospective”, Instituto Di Tella (Buenos Aires, 1967); Galerie Denise René (New York, 1970); “Recherches 1959-1971-Untersuchungen”, Städtische Kunsthalle (Düsseldorf, 1972); “Experiences 1959-1977”, Room of the Ministry of Culture (Madrid, 1977); “Modulations”, Durban Gallery (Caracas, 1979): “Works 1959-1981”, Museo de Bellas Artes (Caracas, 1981); “Recherches 1958-1973”, Galerie Schoeller (Düsseldorf, 1992); “Le Parc Lumière”, Daros-Latinamerica and Foundation (Zurich, 2005). “Julio Le Parc. Form into action”. PAMM, Miami, (2016). His works are present in museums and collections such as MACBA (Buenos Aires, Argentina); Walraf-Richartz- Museum (Cologne, Germany); Museo de Arte Moderna (Rio de Janeiro, Brasil); Musée d’Art Contemporain (Montréal, Canada); Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia (Madrid, Spain); Museum of Modern Art (New York, USA) and Ella Fontanals-Cisneros Collection (Miami, USA).