Pedro de Oraá (1931) studied painting and sculpture at the San Alejandro Academy in 1952, joining the group known as The Eleven in 1956, and was among the Ten Concrete Painters, 1958-1961.
Outstanding among his principal personal expositions have been those presented at the Pequeño Espacio Gallery; the National Visual Arts Council; the Raúl Martínez; the Cuban Book Institute; the Fayad Jamís Art and Literature Center in Havana; the Fine Arts Center in Caguas, Puerto Rico; and La Grande Arche de la Défense in Paris.
His abstract works are included in the collections of important institutions including Cuba’s National Fine Arts Museum; Chopo University in Mexico City; the Godwin-Ternbach Museum of Queen’s College in New York; the Museum of Finest Cuban Arts, Vienna; New York’s Museum of Modern Art (MOMA); The Pompidou Center in France; and the Ludwig Museum in Germany.
He participated in the 5th Sao Pablo Biennial at the end of the 1950s, and most recently in a collective project entitled Zona Franca, a parallel exposition during the last Havana Biennial.
With Pedro de Oraá, one feels the strange need to go back in time, to inquire into a generation of creators, long undervalued, that are today a crucial element in the history of Cuban art.